Spay and Neuter Clinic Administrative Assistant
We are currently seeking a Clinic Administrative Assistant to join our dynamic and fast-paced team. This is a full-time, hourly position working four days per week (10 hours per day – Monday to Thursday).
We are seeking someone who is dependable, self-motivated and pays very close attention to detail. Previous veterinary/animal welfare experience preferred but not required. Must work well with a team and with the public (face-to-face and over the phone). Must have strong computer skills.
After a probationary period, we offer health and dental benefits, as well as paid vacation. The most important thing this position provides is feeling that you are doing something to help the pet overpopulation issue that exists today.
Pay will be based on experience.
The Thunder Bay and District Humane Society is a non-profit organization which operates a Spay and Neuter Clinic located in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Annually, we perform over 3,000 surgeries. This is a fast-paced environment and you must work well as part of a very important team.
Responsible for overall operations of the Clinic office. Maintains complete and accurate records of clinic patients. Works closely with the Veterinarian, Clinic staff and Shelter staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Lead check in/out of patients
- Manages booking schedule through software and ensures proper number of animals are booked daily
- Develops a plan for dealing with no shows
- Balances cash out
- Replies to any emails regarding booking
- Ensures complete and accurate records exist for all patients, including go-home paperwork and medical records
- Maintains accounts receivables for all owner and volume clients
- Answers clinic phones, returns messages, forwards messages to appropriate staff in a timely manner
- Help with shelter reception as needed
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
1. Client Education
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks
- Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian
- Will be asked to communicate with the public on a daily basis in a professional manner
2. Physical Requirements
- Must be able to work standing or sitting for 10 or more hours
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day with help
- Must be able to see fine detail in a variety of situations
3. Technical Requirements
- Technical proficiency with PC platforms, as well as Microsoft Office
- Must be able to answer and respond to multiple phone lines
Two or more years experience in a veterinary clinic, veterinary hospital, and/or animal shelter or control facility. Candidate should be highly motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with a professional attitude.
- Dental care
- Extended health care
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- administrative: 2 years (Preferred)
- administrative assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
Weekdays 11 – 6pm
Weekends 11 – 5pm
ANIMAL VISITING HOURS
Weekdays 12 – 5:30pm
Weekends 12 – 4:30pm
1535 Rosslyn Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 6W2
Tel: (807) 475-8803
Fax: (807) 475-4717
Charitable No. 89433 0273 RR 0001